Saturday, March 15, 2014


March Madness!

How many of you, like me, look forward to becoming a professional couch potato during this glorious season in college basketball?  March Madness time is here again!  I'm watching the Louisiville vs. Uconn mens' game right now as I write this blog.  Today I didn't put on make-up, deodorant, fix my hairdo, or get out of my sloppy scrub pants and old t-shirt ...there are more important things to do today.  I need to yell at the TV, coach from my home vantage point, and let all BUT the MADNESS slip away.

It dawned on me that March Madness is so much like this juncture in life.  The first 1/2 of the college basketball season is about honing individual and collective skills, becoming a solid team, managing an athletic schedule and academic classes, submitting to the coach's plan, and setting  goals to be a winning squad.  In the second 1/2 of the season, anything goes!  It doesn't matter whether a team earned the # 1 spot in its conference, once March Madness starts, all teams go back to square one.  The second term will be the only one that counts in the march to the NCAA championship.

That gives me a perspective on this stage of existence -- the second 1/2 of life.  It's the singular golden season and the only one that matters as I play to the end of my life.  Whatever I accomplished in the first 1/2 of my time on earth won't mean jack if I don't stay the course and continue to compete hard in the 2nd season.  It would be MADNESS not to strive all the way through the finale!

What are you doing in your 2nd season that keeps you in the game with purpose and drive to finish well?

[See you after the NCAA Finals are over!]

No comments:

Post a Comment