Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"But" Out!



"But" Out!
23 April 2014

Yep, pun intended... while seeing these three celebrity derrieres may cause you to wonder what's Missy writing about this week, the focus is more cerebral than anatomical!  This week's blog post theme is borrowed from Daniel Pink's book, A Whole New Brain: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule The Future. I listened to this book several times while out for my walks during the week, and a simple concept he mentioned has peaked my interest.  It's easy to do and represents a powerful shift in thinking more positively and with a solution-based perspective.

Here is how "but out" works.  When you might ordinarily use the conjunction, "but", substitute "and" for "but."  That's straightforward, and not necessarily easy or effortless, so it will take some work to make the change.  Read the previous sentence again and notice the magic of how "and" works positively begging for a thoughtful resolution.  With the "but" in the sentence, it leaves you with a problem dangling there rather than a plan / solution: That's straightforward, but it's not easy or effortless to put into practice.

Amazingly, Pink's technique is a profound thinking tool because it leaves the mind open to finding a way to balance seemingly opposing ideas through devising means to connect rather than repel.  While you may dismiss this idea as 'rosy-colored glasses' thinking, consider the scientific research on mindfulness.  Someday when you are Googling around, check it out -- there are a myriad of articles to explore on the topic.  Much of the research focuses on observing the healthful benefits of thinking and communicating in an affirming modus operandi.  Mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, and socially humans benefit from what Norman Vincent Peale touted in 1952 with the first publication of his book, The Power of Positive Thinking.

While critics dis Peale's book saying that, because his writings are full of personal stories, the methods / techniques cannot be substantiated.  Of course, scientific research has explored the effect a more optimistic outlook has on the whole person...and certainly on the brain's ability to consider alternatives to the perplexities of life.  

Again, here is the formula:  take out "but" and exchange it with "and."  Subsequently, add "so" to the rest of the thought.  See where it takes you.  "I would go on vacation, and I owe the IRS a ton of money, so I'm going to have to get creative about how I can get some much-needed R & R."  "I'm 58 years old, and I am not inclined to relocate, so I'm going to have to demonstrate to potential employers that my experience, educational preparedness, and high energy make me a viable candidate for the job locally."  "I love to take walks for exercise, and I work long hours during the day, so I'm going to have to find other ways to walk and put in my time at work.  Perhaps, I can join or start up a mall walking group of other business people for after work. Or, instead of going out to lunch, I'll pack portable healthy food and eat while I walk outside and enjoy nature with a break from being indoors all day."

This week, consider participating with me in changing your thinking by changing your communicating -- give "but out" a test drive.  And then, come back and post your observations at the end of this blog.  I'd love to hear from you!

"But" Out!






1 comment:

  1. Several folks have asked me to reveal who the celebrity behinds are in these 3 photos. Hmmm...entertaining guesses...

    ReplyDelete